RESIDENCIES FOR WRITERS
Zuidpool is an open, modular centre for the performing arts, based in Antwerp, Belgium. Zuidpool produces the work of artistic directors Jorgen Cassier and Koen van Kaam, and also serves as a venue for the development of many other artists.
In 2017 Zuidpool decides to become an open theatre for artists of various stripes in the centre of Antwerp. Zuidpool’s own theatre productions and evolvement of the individual artist go arm in arm.
This direction leads to a new initiative: Residences for writers. Zuidpool becomes the fourth house in Flanders to make room specific for writers. The other houses are Passa Porta, KANTL and Stijn Streuvelshuis.
Zuidpool coproduces the Residences for writers with d e t h e a t e r m a k e r and focuses on diversity in origin and genre. It’s our goal to challenge writers to explore their relation with writing in a distinctive way. A writer in residence can organize lectures, publications, debates or performances about his own work with an audience when time comes. Even so there is no expectation about a solid theatre production at the end of the residence.
WRITERS IN RESIDENCE 2020-2021
Thomas Claessens & Hendrik Kegels
fall 2016: Moya De Feyter
spring 2017: Greg Houwer
spring 2017: Pim Cornelussen
fall 2017: Kirsten Van den Hoorn
spring 2018: Gerard Herman
May-June 2018: Tineke De Meyer
28/01-28/02/19 Margot De Ley
04/03-12/04/19 Pete Wu
25/04-31/05/19 Matthias Hellemans
03/06-29/06/19 Deniz Polatoglu, Carolina Maciel de França, Sascha Reunes & Ikram Aoulad
02/09-09/10 Juicy Dune IJsselmuiden & Sascha Bornkamp
14/10-04/11 Laura Vroom
26/11-18/12 Stefanie Huysmans
anuari 2020: Michael Van Remoortere
maart 2020: Simon Baetens
april 2020: Prisca-Agnes Nishimwe & Brice Deconinck
mei 2020: Miriam Boolsen
- A writer in residence can focus on his development as an author. We initiate these Residences for writers because it endorses the importance to share knowledge.
We want to share our archive and library and even more our own methods and arguments, about language. Zuidpool invites the authors to take part in rehearsals, to share their research with akin writers, to attend public lectures, etc.
We hope to disconnect the writing process itself from the writer as a theatre author, as a contemporary principle. To be specific, Zuidpool will make time for residents to take part in their own productions and creations (if they want to) so experience will be shared on all levels.
We don’t want to restrain authors and we are open for diversity in background, genre, country... What we do expect of a writer in residence is to show some interest in theater. The end result of the writing process can be an essay, prose, a series of poems…. It doesn’t have to be a theater script.
- We can offer a big workspace (and shared kitchen facilities) where the author can work in peace and quiet or in dialogue with other artists.
- Duration: 6 to 12 weeks, without overnight stay.
- Zuidpool accepts authors due to their relation with performing arts. A writer in residence has the possibility to end his residence with a presentation, lecture or publication. Zuipool coordinates the discussion about the form and feasibility of the presentation with the writer.
- The residents for 2018 are already selected. The selection for residents in 2019 is happening in the fall of 2018. You can sign up the whole year if you are interested.
- Send an e-mail to Flore Opsomer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or David Cornille (email@example.com).
Residences for writers is an initiative of Zuidpool, supported by Vlaams Fonds voor de Letteren, Passa Porta en d e t h e a t e r m a k e r.